2003 Jun 20 15:35

Re: [vox] [fwd] UUG SCO Protest

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Mike Simons wrote:

> > Otherways would be to find out if your workplace has any Unixware licenes
> > and see to it that they dont get renewed.
>
>   I also agree.  It would be nice to track down each company that *is*
> still using SCO and try to sell them a Linux replacement.  I wonder how
> difficult it would be to track down SCO's customers and organize a
> community based targeted sales operation to zero SCO's revenue.

Well, I used to work for a company that did support for an EIS Call
Processing System (CPS) which had a SCO server at its core. Knowing this
was years ago, I did a bit of Google searching. Found out CPS is now owned
by SER, which makes no mention of the OS they use on the server, although
a Unix of some sort is likely since their hardware management class
description talks about /u directories and root/boot disks. In this
searching, I also found this "success story" page on caldera.com:

http://www.caldera.com/company/success/story.html?ID=51

Seems there's several of these success stories at:

http://www.caldera.com/company/success/

It won't tell you everyone that uses SCO, but at least those who SCO
thinks are big enough to have "bragging rights". EIS CPS for example was
widely used because it was one of the better dialers out there. Having to
deal with the SCO server was one of my constant grumbles in that
particular job.