2003 Jun 14 03:37

Re: [vox] Zaurus 5500 vs 5600...

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 20:02, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 07:18:14PM -0700, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> > Not sure which one would be best to go for. There is currently quite a
> > bit of difference in price between the two models and from reading the
> > spec's nothing really jumps out that makes 5600 a must buy over the
> > 5500.
>
> The big diffs are:
>
>                                 SL-5500                SL-5600
>                                 -------                -------
>   Memory/storage configuration  64MB RAM, 16MB ROM     32MB RAM, 64MB ROM
>                                 1/2 RAM for storage    All RAM for RAM
>                                 ROM only 'flashable'   ROM writable (storage)

Thats quite a bit of difference there.

>   Sound hardware                Only headphone jack    Headphone jack
>                                                        Built-in mono speaker
>                                                        Built-in mic

Ahhh, so if you're out with the 5600 and lets say, a zoo you can record
the sounds.

>   Battery                       900mA                  1700mA
>
>   Software version              [can be upgraded]
>

> > Finally, how well do these sync with Linux systems?
>
> QtopiaDesktop is what they use.  The SL-5500 used XML format files for
> PIM storage (addresses, to-do list, etc.).  The SL-5600 (and the updated
> "3.10 ROM" software for the SL-5500) do not.

Thats actually good to know.

> This means some 3rd party (read: Open Source) software still only works
> with the old, XML-based stuff.  (Syncing with Evolution, for example...
> At least, I _think_.)

Looks like a question for the Ximian folks, who are probably busy with
XD2.

Thanks Bill, for some reason I just could not see the major differences,
even on the sharp page. Well differences that could be very important
that is :).

> Enjoy & good luck!
>
> -bill!

Thanks,