2003 Jun 15 23:12

Re: [vox] Mandrake vs. SuSe?

I have only used RedHat, so I can't comment on Mandrake vs. SuSe. I have a comment about using KDE with RedHat, though. By default, I agree that RedHat is not KDE friendly. However, by simply having the lines

DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
DESKTOP="KDE"

in the file "/etc/sysconfig/desktop" will make kdm the login manager (rather than gdm) and KDE the default windows manager (rather than Gnome). This will also give you a logout/shutdown/reboot menu when you choose "logout" from the Kmenu (no root password required). All cosmetic changes (e.g. changing the Kmenu icon to something other than the "red hat") can be done from KDE's "control center".

I too feel a need to explore other distros, if only to be aware of my choices. However, I am a GUI junky and do like RedHat's custom GUIs for doing so many things, such as network and printing setup. I am not sure how the other distros are in this regard.

Jonathan

rscofield@afes.com wrote:
I switched from Red Hat to Mandrake a couple of years ago and I really like Mandrake. I use Linux like most people use Windows. So I don't do anything complicated with computers, and therefore haven't had the need to learn much. Recently, however, I've gotten into a little problem with Mandrake over an order and I'm thinking about switching to SuSe.
So does anyone have any thoughts about which is the better distro, especially from the point of view of a defacto newbie.

Here's an example of the types of things I'm interested in. I subscribe to the kde-linux listserve and it seems that a lot of the traffic has to do with Red Hat users that can't get KDE working properly. I want a KDE-friendly distro.

Here's another example. Mandrake comes configured for the desktop user so I don't have to log in as root and type /sbin in order to shut down like I have to do with my Red Hat distro. I don't want to bother with re-configuring Red Hat.

Thank you.

Bob