2003 Jun 06 16:41

Re: [vox] Beer + Cat + New Laptop Computer = Bad

Re: [vox] Beer + Cat + New Laptop Computer = Bad

--On Friday, June 06, 2003 15:51:14 -0700 Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:

What's the best way to clean a laptop computer keyboard?  Hard drive,
memory, CPU, etc., all appear to be fine, but things hang when I try to
boot up, as though a key is stuck in the down position.
If you have a digital camera it may be helpful to take a picture of the keyboard first so that you have a record of the layout.

You can try popping off a few keycaps to see if you can get to the sticky parts or not. If the sticky surfaces are accessible then you may be able to clean it manually, but if it's gotten inside the mechanical parts of the switches then you have a problem.

I've heard of people running keyboards and circuit boards through the dishwasher. Don't use any soap, don't let the dishwasher go through its drying cycle, and give the keyboard plenty of time to air dry before trying to use it again. Lotsa luck.

--
Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338