2003 Jun 06 15:53

Re: [vox] Beer + Cat + New Laptop Computer = Bad

Richard Crawford said:
> You can probably guess the rest.
>
> What's the best way to clean a laptop computer keyboard?  Hard drive,
> memory, CPU, etc., all appear to be fine, but things hang when I try to
> boot up, as though a key is stuck in the down position.
>
> I've let it dry out for a week and haven't tried turning it on.  The beer
> should all be dried out, but the keys are still sticking.

Depends on the keyboard. Some have keys that can be popped off to be
cleaned. Some are durable enough to permit you to disconnect them from the
computer, submerge them for cleaning, let them dry out for a few days, and
when you are sure they are dry, reconnect them. Some are not so robust,
but will permit you to use q-tips and mild soapy water.

It comes down to doing what you feel you can risk. You can always get a
cheap used keyboard somewhere. (We have a shop called HSC out here in
Sonoma County, but I am sure you have Frys or something else.) $10 for a
keyboard may be worht the time it would take to clean the existing one.

Next, you could try "cleaning" your can with the method posted to this
list a while back. That dog is so full of helpful advice... I'm telling
you....

-ME