2003 May 30 10:09

Re: [vox] Interesting thing i read today

Re: [vox] Interesting thing i read today

John McDonnell wrote,

> Yes, he took the idea of MINIX, but wrote it from scratch himself, then
> unwittingly got people to help.
>
> Uhh... something like that - it's early.

My understanding was that Linus wanted to create an OS that would mimic
the functionality of Minix (itself created to mimic the functionality of
Unix) so that he could essentially have a mini-Unix box at home.  And I
think I heard that Minix was a licensed "miniaturized" version of Unix
created for educational purposes.

Linus released the first version of the kernel back in 1991 or so and it
sort of took off from there.

I might be wrong about that.  I sometimes am.