2003 May 29 21:06

Re: [vox] [OT] satellite TV

> >Dish Network will throw in a Tivo unit for $200.  I'm leaning toward
> >choosing that option.
>
> Yes, but be aware it's not actually a 'Tivo' brand - its their own
> implementation of a PVR and it doesn't has the features or ease of use of
> real Tivo.
>
> If they are charging 200bucks for it (I thought they used to give it to
you
> for free?) then I would personally spend the money on a 'real' Tivo box
with
> DirecTV instead.
>
> Of course you should probably consider the channel line-up, Dish vs
> DirecTV - there may be some channels on one that you can't get on the
other
> (like someone else mentioned earlier).
>
> Kev

I found that there is Dish Network plan that includes a free PVR.   It is
supposally an all-digital plan, and the monthly fee is $5 more per month
than the standard plan that I was originally looking at.  Factoring in the
free PVR, it sounds like a good deal.  I think I can downgrade the plan to
save five bucks a month after a certain amount of time.

I'd really like to see the diffence between the Dish PVR and DirectTivo.  I
wonder if Best Buy has these boxes setup for customers to play with?

Thanks again for all the advice!

Charlie