January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 23 20:58

Re: [vox] OT: request for a Mac user

> On 2003.05.22 23:17, Henry House wrote:
>> A while back, LUGOD salvaged an old Mac clone for use as a demo
>> machine. I
>> apparently need a bootable floppy with MacOS 8.1 (or later) in order
>> install Linux on it. An image of such a floppy is aledgedly available
>> at
>>
>> <ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin>
>>
>> but the FTP site is unresponsive. Anyway, the file is an image in
>> Apple's
>> proprietary format, which requires Apple Disk Copy for MacOS to write
>> to a
>> floppy. So I am asking some kind Mac user to make me a floppy of the
>> above
>> image, or equivalent bootable floppy. Must me Mac OS 8.1 or later!
>> Please
>> mail me off-list if you can help.
>
> http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin
>
> Here's the new URL. Use macunpack from the macutils package,
> to unmacbinarieze the file, and then you should be able to
> just dd the resulting .img file onto the floppy. I've done
> something similar to create a Macintosh CD before from Linux,
> but I haven't tried your exact scenario before.

Apple often releases their img files as special "compressed image files
with checksum" to make this not work right.

Though you can convert the file from .bin to have the separate resource
and data forks, the actual image file is not a true "normal" image.

ShrinkWrap does something similar, but they dont compress. After you strip
off the resource fork from a shrinkwrapped file, the data file has a
header that contains CRC info and other "stuff" for the data. Luckily,
this is the same each time, so for SW it is just a matter of jumping ahead
a certai number of bytes and reading/writing from there (until end of
file) to a floppy disk with dd.

Unfortunately, compression adds an extra layer to this, thrawrting
attempts to seek and write out. :-(

If he can convert the "Disk Copy" image using the "Convert to image"
within Disk Copy, then he may be able to get a "normal" uncompressed image
that can be written to floppy. (I'm guessing this is what he is looking
for.)

-ME