2003 May 10 23:29

[vox] WEF, day 1 report

[sleepy, excuse any typos]

Mike Simons and I (with help from Daphne) lugged the LUGOD demo machine and
some tables and stacks of CDs and handouts over to our booth position
in the Quad, where Ryan Castelluci and Nicole Carlson were already waiting.

I was shocked to see where we were this year... in the middle of the
grassy part of the Quad!  Where the heck are we supposed to plug the
computer in!?

Then we noticed who we were next to - an organization showing off solar
power, who happened to have an array of panels (combined with batteries)
which had a total output capacity of 5500 Watts!  :^)

So, we hooked ourselves up to his system, crossed our fingers, and away we
went!  We didn't have a huge crowd show up, by any means, but there were
a lot of folks who, once they realize we were a Linux group, decided they
just HAD to come by and talk to us.

The Knoppix discs were popular... we gave away about 1/3 to 1/2 of them so
far.  I expect more to be delivered tomorrow.  Folks who had tried Linux
before, back in the day, but never went anywhere, were excited to get a copy
of something newer, and liked the idea of a "try before you 'buy'" version. ;)

Throughout the day, Doug Barbieri, Ken from CS Club @ UCD, Dave Nelson,
Tim (forgot last name!), Emily Stumpf, Melissa Hardenbrook, Dmitriy Ivanov,
and probably a few others who I'm forgetting, showed up and hanged out for
a while.  Some answered questions.  Dave and Tim helped Mike, Daphne and I
drag the stuff back to the car at the end of the day.

Anyway, if anyone else out there wants to drop by, we'll be there
starting around 9-ish (a little after, probably) through 5:30-6ish tomorrow
and Sunday.  We're located south of the coffee shop, out in the grass,
kind of near the extremely large one-ton red tricycle. ;^)

Wish us luck for tomorrow!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/