2003 May 09 08:29

[vox] NT on the mainframe?

--BuGwuXnZwGGQ9GEc

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:48:47AM -0700, epierce@surewest.net wrote:
> Peter Jay Salzman scribbled with alacrity:
> >for most applications, a powerful PC or a cluster of PC's are
> > simply more cost effective.
>=20
> The presenter at the meeting said that IBM is selling billions of dollars
> of "big iron" that run NT/Linux on OS partitions. I've heard old mainframe
> sysadmns that talk about running 25+ NT/Linux OS instances/partitions on
> one mainframe.

  I don't remember him saying anything about Windows NT OS partitions on=20
the mainframe or any of the slides hinting it was possible.

- Did any one else catch this part of the presentation?

I would be shocked to hear there is a port of NT to that platform...=20

  News that you can run many thousands of Linux OS partitions on the
main frame have been around for a years.  Maybe as much as two years ago=20
IBM started selling CPU units for a discounted price if you agreed to=20
only use it to run Linux... then they started coming out which market
studies that show conversion a hundreds of PCs servers into a single=20
mainframe saves alot of money... but I always thought this conversion=20
meant no Windows in the end (which is a major cost savings in itself :).

    TTFN,
      Mike

--=20

--BuGwuXnZwGGQ9GEc