2003 May 08 13:30

Re: [vox] OS/2 and Linux, why has IBM changed?

Re: [vox] OS/2 and Linux, why has IBM changed?

[...]
> viavoice was slow as molasses, segfaulted like segfaulting was going out
> of style, hardly worked well and requird you to install a non-packaged
> java runtime library.  it couldn't get any worse...   heck, i wouldn't
> install that thing on my system if they gave it away for free!
>
> oh well.  if i ever run a company, i hope my employees have the clue to
> recognize and spine to tell me when one of my products is awful...
>
> pete

heh... It probably works perfectly if you are running RedHat x.x on
an IBM Thinkpad... :-). One of the problems with shipping a product
that goes to the mass market is to insure that it runs properly across
operating system and hardware boundaries.  Did you every find out why
it was seg faulting?  Maybe they never got that report... i.e. it
usually works, but does not work with the blah sound card.

Then again it could be a cr*ppy product.  One of the reasons I moved
away from OS/2 was that Warp 4 with the predecessor to ViaVoice crashed
like a Windows box. If I want the reliability of a Windows box, I will
just run Windows :-).

It sounds like they are basing some or all of their product on Java.
That is probably a mistake for something as complicated as voice
recognition.

Joel