2003 May 07 15:27

Re: [vox] Regarding the Subjects & Message List

On the 7th day of May, Peter Jay Salzman said to me:

> for fast replies, many people put their replies up front, like this.

despite the fact that it's *wrong* ;)[1]

> put their responses after the portion of the quote they want to reply
> to.

This is preferred.

> the canonical method is to simply go to the very end of the email and
> put the response there.  this can often be the best method

Sub optimal, but close. Method 2 is the best.

> also, you should trim portions of what you quote.

Absolutely... It gives the impression that you spent a bit more time on
your message and IMHO (like the rest of this isn't! ;) ) gives more weight
to the message.

> for instance, a 5 line reply to 250 lines of quoted material is usually
> too much signal to noise.

ITYM noise to signal. Signal is good, noise is bad.

NOTE: I am in way too good a mood. I'm sitting in our new place in Elk
Grove (using the wife's iMac connecting back to my Linux box in Santa
Clara) and I <heart /> it. We're busily making the place look like ours -
eradicating all the white paint on the walls.

Basically, this message is light hearted and expresses my views. The
entire thing comes with a huge :P

johnmc.
--
 . johnmc@ | bucketchild.net - +1-916-683-2276 (home) .