2003 May 07 11:18

Re: [vox] Wrong List: Looking for Part Time IT Consultant

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 04:05 pm, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:59:27PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:10:00PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> > >   Unfortunately this listing appears to be Windows focused and wouldn't
> > > belong there either...
> >
> > Speaking of which: I was just thinking earlier today that it's a shame
> > that non-Linux-oriented jobs now have no real place; we used to allow
> > them on vox...
> >
> > I realize that we are, first and foremost, a Linux-oriented group; but
> > still, there may come job opportunities which I become aware of and
> > feel that a lot of the folks at LUGOD would love to hear about,
> > despite the fact that it may not be Linux-related.
>
> Micah,
>
>   Glad you brought up the discussion...  I'll hold off expressing my
> opinion until other people have had a chance to reply.

Speaking as someone who has been unemployed for a while now, I personally
cannot afford to pick and choose.  I personally think that any IT or CS
related jobs should be allowed on vox-jobs.  Its not like there's 30-40 posts
a day, and as I said, I cannot afford to be choosy.  You can also look at it
this way.  If someone gets the job and has a linux background, then they have
the ability to preach the gospel from inside(poor choice of words, but I
don't feel very well, and am trouble thinking of a better way of putting
that.)  I'm sure you know what I mean.

> > Could we change the
> > rules so that non-Linux job opportunities are okay, but the
> > subject-line has to be flagged or something?
>
> - Which list are you suggesting non-Linux related jobs should be allowed?

Personally, I cannot afford to ignore ANY job no matter if its via vox list or
the purple jellybean mailing list.  But I can see why people may not want to
see this on vox, so my vote is for vox-jobs...

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk