2003 Apr 17 15:12

Re: [vox] Re-joining the uemployed, looking for work.

Re: [vox] Re-joining the uemployed, looking for work.

Here is my advice...

Call and email everyone you know. Let them know that you
are looking for work and what you want to do.

Cultivate relationships with recruiting agencies like
Manpower, Volt, Sapphire, etc. These relationships will put
you on the top of their list when they are looking for
skills that you posses.

Rewrite your resume for multiple positions, programmer,
tech writer, analyst, project manager, however your skills
can be massaged.

Practice your phone interview skills, practice your
personal interview skills, get a hair cut, polish your
shoes and prepare some of your code for their review. If
you need to, go buy a new suit, shirt, shoes, socks and tie
for your next interview.

Listen to every opportunity, go to every interview (if only
to practice).

When you find an opportunity investigate the company, their
management team, financials, main clients... This will
allow you to create a better cover letter and succeed in a
phone interview with both the recruiter and the potential
company.

Most of all remember to keep your chin up. I was out of
work for 5 months before I got my current opportunity.

-- Andy