2003 Apr 07 15:36

Re: [vox] [OT] renters question - 'snooping' landlord

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 14:16:46PM -0700, Chris Brick wrote:
> > is anyone familiar on what the law says about this?  is he allowed to go into our
> > backyard unannounced?   on our roof?   in our front yard?
>
> Last time I looked into this the landlord has to give 24 hours notice before
> entering the property, regardless of reason.  I seem to remember a google search for
> california landlord/tenant law brought up some interesting links.  This was some
> years ago so laws may have changed.

I'd always understood the notice to be for entering the building. I'm
not sure that any notice is needed for entering the yard.

I actually have "The Fair Housing Handbook" published by The Human
Righs/Fair Housing Commission of the city and county of Sacramento
sitting right here. (they were included in the Sac News & Review a few
weeks ago) Here's what it says about Landlord Entry.

Civil Code 1954
A tenant has a baic right of privacy that a landlord must respect.
Unless it is an emergency, a landlord must give a tenant reasonable
notice in writing of his/her intent to enter and may enter only during
normal business hours.

It goes on to say that reasonable notice is considered 24 hours, and
that upon entering, the landlord or agent must leave written evidence of
the entry inside the unit.

The back of the handbook has a list of contact information...the most
appropriate for you seems to be the Tennant-Landlord Information Line
run by the Human Rights/Fair Housing Commission (916) 444-0178