2003 Apr 03 18:27

Re: Deal on Zaurus [was Re: [vox] Report: Tonight's Google talk atSVLUG]

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:41:05AM -0800, Foo Lim wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > You forgot to mention the special deal on the Zaurus 5500 that will be on
> > the Home Shopping Network for $199.99 (plus an additional 15% discount for
> > first time customers) this weekend.  I don't remember the exact
> > dates/times.  Do you have that down?  I can't find it on hsn.com.  :(
>
> This Friday, at 9pm and 10pm local time, and Saturday at 5am and 6am,
> HSN will be spotlighting the Zaurus SL-5500.
>
> $199.99 is about half what you'd pay at Fry's (last I checked a few weeks ago).
> With the 15% discount, you're ending up getting the device for under $170 bucks!
>
> -bill!

Perhaps its on special because of the newer Zaurus 5600 is out; this has
an Intel Xscale 400 processor instead along with a few other additions.
Its listed here:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1016,00.html

What happened to the Zaurus with the twistable keyboard? Seems to have
disappeared and not having much luck with finding information on it.

Fry's is an interesting place to go, if you know how to find deals as one
can pay much more than you'd find online. Recently had a browse through
their graphics card (currently have a geforce 2 GTS 32MB, this has proved
to be a great workhorse), but was not impressed with price/selection. Even
the Zaurus's boxes seemed like they had been thrown around too...

Matt