2003 Mar 22 21:40

Re: [vox] directories - too much of a good thing?

--- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> wrote:
>   school/class/proj1 (style Samuel mentioned), sounds really good
>
>   maybe do cs/year/proj1 style if you don't take many classes... all you
> need to remember is what year you did things.
>
>   Generally when I know I wrote some program to do something related,
> but I don't remember what it's called or where I put it I do something
> like this to find something like "foobar":
>
>   find ~/src -print0 | xargs -0 grep -i "foobar" | less
>
>   You have to remember some magic string from the program like what
> function calls it _had_ to made to do whatever, or some string or
> variable you would have used in it.
>   The find generates a list of files in my src directory, the grep
> prints out matched lines... I can then cd into directories that look
> promising...

I like this find!  This helps immensely.  When I'm looking for a program
it's what it does that I remember, not what project it was.

Thanks!

Katie

=====
Only two things are necessary to keep a redhead happy.
One is to let her think she is having her own way,
and the other is to let her have it. :)