2003 Mar 22 15:54

Re: [vox] directories - too much of a good thing?

--- Samuel Merritt <spam@andcheese.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 02:06:22PM -0800, Katie wrote:
> >
> > So, I've been using linux for about 3 months and the files in my home
> > directory have been getting more and more disorganized.

> What I do is start with a few very general directories (work,
> school, mail, etc.) If one of those gets too cluttered, I throw in
> some subdirectories as needed, like school/ecs253, school/mat185a,
> and subdivide those if/when they become cluttered, so I get
> school/ecs253/proj1, school/ecs253/proj2, and so on. That way, I only
> get a deep directory tree when I really need it, and other stuff stays
> near the top.

That sounds like a good way to do it.  Much better than what I've got
going.  I've got my school stuff scattered all over.

> When that fails, I use locate.

Had to google to find out about this.  Me likes. :-)  Especially this:
$locate gtk | less
It saved me from 6800 lines scrolling by super fast.

Katie

=====
Only two things are necessary to keep a redhead happy.
One is to let her think she is having her own way,
and the other is to let her have it. :)