2003 Mar 19 12:18

[vox] [Semi-OT] TiVo hacking

I'm sure this will be of intrest to some of you ;-)

As some of you may know, I aquired a 2nd hand TiVo (Phillips HRD212, 20 hour)
in December. Well, after verifying that it worked for a week, I ordered a
120GB 5400RPM (for less noise/heat) to replace my TiVo's dinky 20GB hard
drive, and picked up the required torx screwdrivers from ACE. When the hard
drive arrived, I pulled the hard drive out of my TiVo, and put it, along with
the upgrade drive into a spare PC, and followed the Hinsdale Howto, upgrading
a singal 20GB A drive to a single 120GB A drive (TiVo refers to the master
drive as 'A' and the slave as 'B'), nuking recordings (you can save them if
you want, but it's much slower). The upgrade program took abount an hour to
do it's thing. While I had easy access to the TiVo's filesystem, I modified
it's boot script to give me a console on the serial port normaly used for
cortrolling satilite tuners.

Once I got the thing booted back, I was pleased to see nearly 145 hours of
recording space. see http://www.cal.net/~ryan/images/tivoupgrade.jpg for a
screenshot :-)

I soon went and learned about the backdoor codes, and what you can do with
them. see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=26530

I currently use the 30 second skip code, the sort code (sorts now playing by
expiration, alphebeticaly, or by record date.) and the code that shows
suggustions that the TiVo is planning to record on the ToDo list.

About two weeks ago I order a Turbonet (Ethernet that connects to the TiVo's
debug connector) card and bracket for a second hard drive (I'll get one soon
:) from 9thtee http://9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm. Horray. Opened up my TiVo
again, and poped in the card, and tested that it worked (by entering the code
to make it's "daily call" over ethernet) before closing it back up. After I'd
mad sure that it did, in fact, work, I routed a 2 foot ethernet cable through
a hole in the bottom of the case near the fan, and attached a cat5 coupler to
the end. I then gleefuly removed the phone cable going across the room.
Horray. I fired up my terminal emulator and got a shell via the serial port,
setup telnet, uploaded TiVoFTPd via zmodem (sucks ass but it works), and set
that up too. Well, now that I had FTP on there, it made getting files on the
TiVo so much easier. So far I've installed TiVoWeb ( http://tivo.lightn.org/
) with MFSstream for downloading shows off the unit ( see
http://indierocksteve.dyndns.org/TivoLinux/ ) and hacked it a little so I
could download stuff larger then 2 gigs (unsupported by all browsers i tried,
but curl works if I feed it the URL). I also installed the DisplayText module
( http://www.webguild.com/tivo/ ) for TiVoWeb, and the TiVo version of NCID (
http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/jlc/ caller ID for TiVo and linux, configured
to pop the caller's name and number up on the TiVo)

On sunday night I managed to stream video off of the TiVo using curl, vsplit,
mplayer and a couple of fifo. I got a script that automates that roled
together tonight. And of just course I can download shows and encode them
with mpeg4 :)

TiVoWeb is pretty cool. It allows remote control simulation, disply of what's
on the screen, undeletion of programs, adding/deleting season passes,
scheduling recordings, etc, all over a web interface. Quite nice.

Note that hacks beyond ethernet guide updates and hard drive upgrades require
taking a soldering iron to the TiVo's motherboard on Series 2 (new units with
USB)

Anyhow, Bill thought a more detailed presention on this would be cool, what
do you guys think?

Oh, and of course, feel free to ask me questions.

One more thing.......

http://www.cal.net/~ryan/images/tivotuners-lq.jpg

- --