2003 Mar 18 14:25

Re: [vox] what do they pay their staff for?!?

Re: [vox] what do they pay their staff for?!?

hi john,

i predate you by two decades, judging from your resume.
i predate your quoted jargon file by at least decade.
i could very well predate ESR himself.

so this document is meaningless to me.  i lived the life.  so the lingo
is revisionist to me.

nothing's wrong with wanting to make the distinction these days.  i even
agree with the distinction.

just realize that way back when, your "cracker" was yesterday's
"hacker".  so when you ask me to change my lingo, it doesn't come
as naturally to me as it does to you young "whipper snappers".   :-)

pete

begin John McDonnell <vox_spam@johnmc.org>