2003 Feb 28 13:02

Re: [vox] vox-jobs list?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:24:17PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> Well dangit, now I can't stop thinking about this.
>
> The problem with a jobs list is that it will be filled with
> the same spam from recruiters that you see everywhere else.

Well, it'd be a subscriber-only list.  We already get the
'spam from recruiters' (very little of that, and really it's not often
from recruiters, but the businesses themselves who are looking to hire)
on vox, and posted at www.lugod.org/jobs/

I think posting the occasional job posting to vox is fine, but my thoughts
for a new, vox-jobs list is so that people can discuss their search for
jobs.

I haven't the foggiest idea where to look, for example.

<snip>
> you won't see many instances of job-seekers helping each other
> out in the same geographical area, other than situations
> where their talents have little overlap.

Well, that bit right there was the whole reason we thought of a jobs list. :^)

> What *would* be interesting to me is a list dedicated to
> *creating* jobs.

I'm sure that'd be a popular topic on a jobs-related mailing list, too. :^)

So far, it seems about 50-50.  (Ok, technically, I'm not counting, but I've
definitely seen both positive and negative responses regarding this.
Then again, for those who don't want a new list, it's not as if they're
forced to sign up. ;^) )

bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick