2003 Feb 28 08:16

Re: [vox] Starbucks and 802.11b

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:44:18PM -0800, Ryan Castellucci wrote:

> On Thursday 27 February 2003 12:54 pm, donw@examen.com wrote:
> > It's confirmed: The 802.11b offerings at Starbucks are through T-Mobile,
> > and the "most economical" plan is $30 a month (500MB, $0.25 each
> > additional MB).  The pay-as-you go plan is $3 for the first 15 minutes,
> > and $0.25 each additional minute, bringing the total of an hour of
> > internet access to $12.25.
> >
> > Riiiiiight.
>
> There are several other estableshments in Davis that offer FREE 802.11b
> internet access, either through my employer, or independantly.

I live in Roseville. ;)

> I can't imagine any sane person going for the pay as you go plan. I can see
> the $30 a month plan being used by business travelers, though. Many geeks,
> however, will just use somebody's misconfigured AP.

I agree completely; the sad thing is, I haven't found any open networks
in areas where they would be useful for me.  I'm considering refreshing
my Technician-class license and setting up a spread-spectrum data link
on 10- or 5-meters and just using that (spread-spectrum almost nullifies
the interference with other hams).