2003 Feb 26 00:03

Re: [vox] [OT] FTC's Do Not Call registry

Re: [vox] [OT] FTC's Do Not Call registry

It was funded, so in theory it will begin to phase in
four months...  They are going to phase it in gradually
to avoid the scaling problems of 10 million people trying
to sign up at the same time :-).  If they do it east
coast to west coast it may be a couple of additional
months before it is an option for us.  Telemarketing
companies are not obligated to use the national list for
six months from the funding date so either way we are at
least six months out.

The telemarketing companies are currently suing to block
this law.  I suspect they will eventually lose that suit
because there is no constitutional right to speak with
someone that doesn't want to talk to you :-).  I'm not
sure what the arguments against the do not call list are,
but it seems like an opt out list is going to trump them.

I ended up ordering PacBell's privacy manager last week
to cover the time until this list is a viable option.  It
costs $4 a month, but requires caller id which is another
$6 a month for something we didn't have.  I'll be happy
to drop privacy manager/caller id when the national list
gets off the ground.

Joel