2003 Feb 17 23:44

Re: [vox] [OT] telemarketing calls

begin Shwaine <shwaine@shwaine.com>
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
>
> > <google search>
> > Ah, here it is.  The Telephone Consumer Protection Act, passed 1991, apparently
> > also known as 47 U.S.C. section 227. [1]  227(b)(1)(B) specifically outlaws
> > prerecorded pitches:
> > "Unsolicited prerecorded telephone solicitations to residential telephone lines
> > without prior express consent or prior business relationship are prohibited."
> >   http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html
> >

> The loop-hole phrase in the legislation there is "prior business
> relationship". If you buy a car, prior business relationship... years
> later you'll get a phone call at 9am going "hey, it's about time to trade
> in your car isn't it? How about a brand new 2003 model!". Likewise, the
> politicians have obviously left themselves a loophole so they could do
> automatted campaigning like they did in the November elections with all
> those pre-recorded messages by various political bigwigs endorsing certain
> candidates.

i think you're right.  one of the telemarket calls i got today was a
recorded announcement from AT&T (who is my carier).  i doubt a company
like AT&T would risk such a wide spread of lawsuits.  i'm sure they know
the law quite well.

as i was recycling some papers last week, i came across a fond memory.
it was a letter from AT&T asking me to sign something.  some history
first:

AT&T used to send me checks, ranging from $5 to as much as $200.  they
wrote "if you sign this check and cash it, we'll switch you over to
AT&T" (at the time i had sprint).

i used to cash the checks, but would never endorse them.  my long
distance carier was never switched over.  and AT&T would always send me
a letter saying "it has come to our attention that you cashed our check
but forgot to sign the agreement to switch to AT&T long distance.
please sign this form immediately so you can start saving lots of money
with us.".

the last i've seen of my AT&T checks was maybe 3 or 4 years ago.  all in
all, my two biggest checks were for $200 each.  the rest were mostly for
$25 and $5.

i miss my AT&T checks.  they always seemed to come when i really needed
the money most.   maybe if i change to sprint, AT&T will start sending
them to me again...   ;-)

pete