2003 Feb 17 17:04

Re: [vox] [OT] telemarketing calls

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 02:15:07PM -0800, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
> Isn't this... ILLEGAL?  I remember when they PASSED that law, f'r cryin' out
> loud; my parents were all happy because, at the time, the telemarketers had
> these really evil recorded messages that wouldn't relinquish the phone line
> *even if you hung up*.

There was a Simpsons on this once.  Homer happened to be near by when the
cops busted some guy for telemarketing, and they threw the dialer in the
dumpster.  Homer picked it up, and had it call people all night asking for
them to mail him a dollar. [1]

When he got busted, the court forced him to apologize.  So he set up the
dialer to call people all night to do just that. :^) [2]

bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick

[1] "Greetings, friends.  Do you wish to look as happy as me?
    Well, you've got the power inside you right now.  So, use it, and send
    one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield.
    Don't delay, eternal happiness is just a dollar away."

[2] "Hello, this is Homer Simpson, a.k.a. Happy Dude.  The court has ordered
    me to call every person in town to apologize for my telemarketing scam.
    I'm sorry.  If you can find it in your heart to forgive me, send one
    dollar to Sorry Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield.  You have the
    power."