2003 Feb 17 23:44

Re: [vox] [OT] telemarketing calls

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> in an effort to reduce my phone bill, i got rid of the privacy manager
> yesterday.
>
> last night i received 3 telemarketing calls from 2 different companies.
> today i've received 2 calls from different companies, and it's not even
> noon time.
>
> i'm curious -- am i receiving more than my fair share of telephone spam?

I wouldn't speculate on what your "fair share" is of telephone calls,
since "fair" may not be "equal". ;)

> or does the world really put up with this amount of junk phone calls?

Some do, some don't.

My boss installed one of those phone boxes that tells the automated
systems your line has been disconnected, and swears by it.

> how many telemarketing calls are people getting per day to their
> residential lines?

0.3 < c < 1.0

What a perfect scam... sell people a service to block unidentified calls,
then if they drop your service, sell their name to marketers.  Then, if
your suckers ... um, clients...  wanted all those RonCo knife sets, you
have now demonstrated that you are not blocking those calls anymore, and
if they didn't want those calls after all then they may suddenly see the
value in your privacy service.  Brilliant.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing