2003 Feb 11 16:46

[vox] [zjohnson@math.ucdavis.edu: Re: [NOT-vox] Another support story...]

I figured I'd pass this one along just in case there are others out
there struggling with this.

Doug

PS: I thought it was interesting that every time I would try to suspend
to disk, it would fail, saying that the last suspend was not restored.
I noticed that under fdisk, the suspend partition would be marked
bootable:

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 730 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device     Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/hda1   *          1        10     80293+  84  OS/2 hidden C: drive
   /dev/hda2             11       475   3735112+  83  Linux
   /dev/hda3            476       491    128520   82  Linux swap
   /dev/hda4            492       730   1919767+  83  Linux

I could get it to save the partition if I toggled the bootable flag back
off. However, when I powered back on, it would give me the lilo prompt
and I couldn't figure out how to resume, thinking that it should be a
bios thing.

The link in Zach's message suggested the obvious--add the following
lines into /etc/lilo.conf for the suspend partition:

other=/dev/hda1
  label=Resume

DUH! It goes to show you that an effective google search can make all the
difference! Next time I won't even bother with Dell's support. Thanks Zach!

----- Forwarded message from Zach Johnson <zjohnson@math.ucdavis.edu> -----