2003 Feb 11 13:10

Re: [vox] ucd virus question

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 05:39:17PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> > It sounds like:
> >
> >    1. a virus was sent out
> >    2. some virus checker caught the virus
> >    3. they *deleted* the virus
> >    4. they delivered the email to you less the virus
>
> yeah, that's what i meant to write (but obviously didn't).
>
> > It sounds like a reasonable action.  I wouldn't want them blocking
> > any e-mail that is potentially legit, but wouldn't want virus traveling to
> > my system, no matter what virus or how it may or may not have been sent...
>
> i guess we differ -- it's my understanding that the klez virus sends
> itself out.   for that reason alone, i wouldn't want it.

You don't have it: just the mail it came in ;-)

> but to be honest, i wouldn't want _any_ email that had a virus attached
> to it.  not because i use windows (i don't).  i just don't even want to
> see it.  i've *never* received a legit email that had a virus scrubbed
> from it, and i'm doubtful i ever will.
>
> i wish they let us choose "action to take upon catching a email with
> virus" in sisweb....   :(

For my part, I don't trust virus scanners 100%. The same way I don't
trust spam filters 100%. I want to be able to verify for myself that,
yes indeed, this mail appears to have contained a virus or, yes
indeed, this mail appears to be spam. Without actually keeping the
virus intact, it may be difficult to ascertain this, but consider
things such as Bill's "Melissa" email? If the recipient isn't notified
that Bill sent a "Melissa" virus, he wouldn't know what he'd missed.

-Micah