2003 Feb 11 02:21

[vox] ucd virus question

to people who may know ucd policy:

every so often, i still get klez viruses to my lifshitz.ucdavis.edu
account.  along with the message, there's an attachment that says:

   ------------------  Virus Warning Message (on tripoli)

   Found virus WORM_KLEZ.H in file width.bat
   The file is deleted.

   UCD Virus scanner found virus.  Contact ithelp@ucdavis.edu with
   questions.

in other words:

1. a virus was sent out
2. some virus checker caught the virus
3. they delivered the email to me anyhow

it's my understanding that klez sends itself out without piggybacking on
a "real" email.  in other words, something other than the user triggers
the virus to be sent.

does anybody know why ucd insists on sending out the email after the
virus is caught?

also, does ucd make any attempt to look at connection logs and track
down systems that send this stuff out?

pete