January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 07 14:02

Re: [vox] This is probably a dumb question (DocBook and MS-Word stuff)

Re: [vox] This is probably a dumb question (DocBook and MS-Word stuff)

I don't know anything about DocBook, but I do use LaTeX. Since your message prompted me to be curious about DocBook, I did a quick google search and found reference to DocBook->TeX/LaTeX conversion capabilities. Another quick google found references to TeX/LaTeX->MS Word conversion. This 2 step method would probably be difficult and might lose much of your formatting, but it might be worth a try.

Do you submit electronic Word documents to your professors? That seems strange to me. I use LaTeX and am able to produce top-quality PDFs, which of course I can send to people or print them.

Jonathan

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
Actually, let me back up (I've found that too often the solution people
are looking for are not the best solution to the problem they're trying
to solve).

I'm in the MLIS program at San Jose State University, and just about
every professor wants papers and assignments turned in using MS-Word
format.  Sure, I could pull this off in OpenOffice.org, but since I've
always wanted to learn DocBook, I couldn't help wondering if there might
be a more interesting approach.  What specifically interests me is using
DocBook to render bibliographic references in standard APA format... and
then making that same standard format happen in MS-Word without having
to re-do things in Word itself...