2003 Feb 03 15:45

[vox] [fwd] Open Source Palm Application for dosing Warfarin

Jonathan here is looking for Open Source developers who can help out
with this medical application for PalmOS.

Please contact him directly if you're interested in helping out!

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/

--- Forwarded message from "Jonathan Neufeld, PhD" <jdneufeld@ucdavis.edu> ---

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:18:46 -0800
From: "Jonathan Neufeld, PhD" <jdneufeld@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Open Source Palm Application for dosing Warfarin
To: root@lugod.org
Cc: "Dr. Richard White" <rhwhite@ucdavis.edu>,
   Mike Hogarth <mahogarth@ucdavis.edu>

Bill,

I've had some contact with LUGOD and lurked for a while on the lists.
I've been an open source advocate (at least in private) for nearly 10
years.  I'm now a researcher at the UCD Medical Center in Sacramento.
I'm working on a federally funded project that is developing a Palm OS
application to help docs and pharmacists dose warfarin (Coumadin), an
anticoagulant (aka "blood thinner").  This medication is difficult to
use properly and its improper use results in lots of medical errors
every year.  The application uses a Bayesian algorithm to model patient
response and has shown a lot of promise in previous research.

We have working C code (which we compile for the PalmOS using Code
Warrior) and a handy little application that tracks study patients and
data and does dose response modelling.  Under the terms of our grant we
will be releasing the code to the OSS community when the research
project is finished (about a year from now).  We are looking for some
folks with the skills and interest to help move this code into the Open
Source community.

Right now the application includes a number of functions that are
specific to our research protocol (study-specific data elements and lots
of logging of user actions for analysis mainly).  What it needs is some
Palm/C programmers who can make it more "generic" and usable outside our
specific research protocol.  Our grant paid for professional development
of the code to this point, but we're hoping to find people in the OSS
community to help make the transition to more general usability.

This program has the potential to be used by medical students, doctors,
and pharmacists all over the country (at least that's what we hope), so
it could be very exciting to the right people.

I would be grateful if you would forward this message to any people you
know who might be interested in at least having a look.

-- Jonathan
------------------------
Jonathan D. Neufeld, PhD
Staff Research Associate

Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care
2103 Stockton Blvd.
Grange Bldng., 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA  95817

(916) 734-6340  voicemail