2003 Feb 03 09:56

Re: [vox] Open Office Question

On Sunday 02 February 2003 04:17 pm, Henry House wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 08:45:49PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
>

> Please share! I have never figured out how to start an OpenOffice other
> than the word processor from the command line.

Okay, I've just discovered that there are at least two ways.

The First Way:

Start Open Office.  As you look at the work processor screen put the mouse
pointer on File on the top left menu bar.  Click on File and a menu drops
down.  Slide the mouse pointer to New and as you press on New a new menu will
come out on the right.  This menu lists all of the Open Office functions:
calc, Impress, etc.

Note (unbelievable!) that Label is one of the options.  Open Office has Avey
labels!!  Just like Word and Word Perfect.  This suite is really growing up
and is becoming usable for business.

The Second Way:

Below the menu bar is a tool bar.  See the third icon to the right.  The one
to the immediate left of the open folder icon.  If you click on this quickly
a new text document appears.  But if you click and hold down for a couple of
seconds you get the menu with all the Open Office functions just like with
the first way above.

Note that these two ways also solve a totally separate irritating problem.  In
most word processors like Star Office 5.1, Word Perfect, etc. if you finish
one word processing document and want to start on another you click on the
"x" to close the document that you're done with and then a new blank one
appears so that you can start on the second one.  But if you do this in Open
Office clicking on the "x" kills the program so that you have to restart Open
Office in order to begin working on the second document.

So to get around this problem you use one of the two ways described above to
open a new text document before you x-out the one you're finished with.  When
the new blank appears, then you can close out the one you've finished and you
don't have to restart Open Office.

Finally, the other thing I figured out without any help from Open Office help
or my book on Star Office 5.0 is how to do page numbering.  So if anyone
wants to know how to have page numbers at the bottom center of each page of a
document just ask.  It is cumbersome compared to Word Perfect, but it can be
done.

Bob