January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 02 15:22

Re: [vox] [fwd] Time servers (ntp) wanted

Re: [vox] [fwd] Time servers (ntp) wanted

Up spake Bill Kendrick on Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 04:15:54AM -0800:
> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 03:59:46AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Let me assume for a moment that I make my system available as an NTP
> > server.
> > How do I keep *my* system from time drifting?
> Keep yours up to date (no pun intended) by running ntpdate on another
> NTP server? ;^)

Bing bing bing!  You're absolutely right, Bill, less the 'ntpdate' bit.
If you're a stratum 2 server, you'll want to be sync'd to a couple stratum
1 servers, plus peer'd with a couple other stratum 2 servers.  ntpd
does keep track of the drift (check ntp.drift if you're curious), and,
to correct for it, will periodically
1) sync to the stratum 1 servers, and
2) check with its peers on stratum 2 to make sure it hasn't gone bonkers.

--nicole twn

***
"The candles burn down; one lights the way, one disappears..."--Moxy
Fruvous
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.