2003 Jan 31 22:22

RE: [vox] [OT] radio shack

I am not a lawyer. :)

A recipt is a reciept.  I seriously doubt that a store could prove that they
do in fact mark every one.  Therefore they honor them all.  Theft is theft
and they have camera's to watch for it and if you break the law, you deserve
the getting caught part.  'Sides, it's what the time stamp is for.

They can hold you for shoplifting but they have to be careful, if they are
wrong it opens them up to law suits and false imprisonment charges.  There
was an article in the Sac Bee on this last part actually.

>    2. They can't reserve the right to search your bag,
>       but they can refuse to sell you items until you agree
>       to let them search you before exiting the store.

They can refuse service before you purchase, but once you purchase the items,
you own them and they do not have the right to search you and yours (4th
amendment I think, but I'm getting onto real shaky ground here). You would
probably have to affirm in a legal sense (sign a document, etc) before they
could actually make it a condition in a publicly accessible store.  Costco
can make a precondition because you sign a membership contract and it could
be one of those terms.

>    3. I wouldn't think they're checking for price collisions;
>       the receipts are too complicated to do that.  I'd think
>       they're there more to count the number of items, if anything
>       at all.  Though Peter's experience is interesting, I'd
>       be more curious of what would happen if you switch receipts
>       that have different number of items on them.

They are searching for price collusion.  I was once offered a job doing this
at another store and that was definitely one of the things to be looked for.
The other was checking the receipt date and time to prevent folks from trying
to use them to walk out with more stuff or return shop lifted items for
cash/credit.

> -Mark (Nowhere near Fry's... anymore)

-sp
still shop there occasionally.