January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jan 31 12:22

[vox] Open Source software less dangerous solution for Windows?

[vox] Open Source software less dangerous solution for Windows?

I'm on the GNUWinII [*] mailing list, and someone posted a question
asking what kind of guarantee people have that the Open Source software
on the discs and website won't "break" Windows machines.

This was an amusing anecdotal response from one of the other GNUWin members
that I thought I'd share.  (I don't run Windows, and haven't really used
it since Win95 back in 1998 on a friend's system, so maybe this is just
funnier to me :^) )

(Posted by GNUWin member Patrick Ogay):

> if you install a SW on Windows it may be always a risk.
> And I had to reinstall NT, becoause a DB2 installation failed.
> I had to reinstall NT because M$-Security Updates blocked the system...
>
> But just the Unix ported Open Source SW works with regular and documented
> Interfaces und doesn't use performance hacks in kernalmode
> And many SW doesn't even change registry.
>
>Look at the MSIE: at the office I have a Win98 and a MSIE 5.0. I tried to
> make a google groop search:
> I had to boot twice the system.
> After I installed Mozilla it worked nicely.
>
> Win SW is more dangerous.

-bill!

[*] GNUWin II is a collection of Open Source software (Apache, Perl, Mozilla,
    OpenOffice, VIM, LaTeX, MySQL, and much more), built for Windows
    http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/