2003 Jan 29 11:49

Re: [vox] need help checking the chinese and japanese versions of my howto

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 07:59:49PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hola,
>
> i was just given chinese and japanese translations of my "debian jigdo
> mini-HOWTO".  if someone who reads these languages can take a look at
> these pages:
>
> www.dirac.org/linux/debian/jigdo
>
> and tell me that they look fine, i'd appreciate it.  i can't display
> characters from these languages, and even if i could, i wouldn't be able
> to tell the difference between my own HOWTO and dante's inferno...
>
> just a spot check would be fine.

I do read some Japanese; but I'm hardly fluent. I'll try to help
though.

Japanese is a much easier language to write than to read, IMO: you
only need to know around "160" characters (but it's really more like
94 - the rest just add a couple marks to existing ones) to write any
word in Japanese, but you need to know at least 3500 chinese
characters (kanji) in order to read most publications. But I'm working
on it.

-Micah