2003 Jan 29 08:33

Re: [vox] Workspot is back

on Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:55:26PM -0800, Micah J. Cowan (micah@cowan.name) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:03:20PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:24:40PM -0800, andy wergedal (awerg@yahoo.com) wrote:

> > > In case you have never heard of Workspot... It allows you
> > > to connect to a linux desktop (redhat 8.0 with gnome blue
> > > curve) from a browser. You get an account on a linux system
> > > and have a online desktop all for $9.95 per month.
> >
> > What I never understood...
> >
> > WorkSpot offers universal access to a given virtual workstation.
> >
> > It's always semed to me that a terminal-server type product, with
> > hardware and configuration support, localized to a client, would be a
> > more suitable product.
>
> Maybe; but that technology (what they currently use) is already
> available for free, no? Or do I misunderstand?

If you look at a complete GNU/Linux system, you could argue that pretty
much *any* computer technology is available for free.  At least so far
as the bits'n'bytes go.

What's *not* free is the infrastructure, maintenance, and support.
That's the hardware, configuration, updates, backups.  The things you're
paying some systems monkeys to take care of at your current place of
business.

While you can't move *all* of that labor offsite, you can move a goodly
chunk of it out, while keeping the actual systems and data in-house.
Cost of hardware is a small fraction of total operating cost, so I see
this offering a reasonably compelling advantage.  Depending on how you
structure the system, desktops could be pretty skimpy hardware (with
nice monitors....).  It's thin-client or network computing by another
name.

> > Few operations want to outsource actual storage of their data and
> > live business operations.  At least that's my general take.  Why not
> > offer a solution which eliminates many of the costs of desktop
> > maintenance, but keeps operations centralized at the office.
>
> I agree emphatically with this, which is why I think their business
> model sucked. At the moment, they seem to be marketing it once again
> to individuals, primarily for the purpose of "trying out Linux", or
> being able to access a basic Linux station remotely. I think they
> should stick to this, maybe. This is what earned them Slashdot fame,
> anywho.

...and we all know what a bundle of cash the Slashdot crowd is.... ;-)

Thanks for sharing, BTW.

Peace.

   The Amazon "one-click" patent boycott -- yes, it continues:
     http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/amazon.html#whyContinue