January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jan 28 17:07

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Sig line [ newbie annoyed with tin ]

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Sig line [ newbie annoyed with tin ]

begin Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name>
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:35:05PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > micah,
> >
> > yes, you absolutely run the risk of losing the original readers of the
> > message.  however, this is a DESIRABLE state of affairs.
> >
> > everyone is happy:
> >
> > 1. people hate non-tech banter don't get the thread once it becomes
> >    non-technical.
> >
> > 2. people who love non-tech banter still get the thread because they
> >    subbed to vox as well as vox-tech.
>
> What about:
>
>   3. people who started the thread in addressing the format of a
>      particular message whose author may not be reading vox, and thus
>      are wondering if continuing the thread on the wrong newsgroup
>      may be entirely pointless.
>
> ?
>
> I understand that the subjects of message-quoting and the format of a
> sigline are appropriate for vox, but there are other aspects to
> consider. The fact that the thread was rooted in vox-tech context. But
> if you still disagree, I won't argue the point.

i'm sticking to my guns on this one.  the reason goes back to when
vox-tech was split off from vox in the first place.  i think this was
way before you found lugod.

the reason why point 3 may seem obvious to you is that your views are
appropriate for someone who's subscribed to both vox and vox-tech.  you
don't seem to mind vox banter; in fact, you seem to like it (as i do).

however, there are people with a much different world view.  there are
some people on vox-tech who *really* get annoyed at that sort of thing.
they hang on to vox-tech because it has such a high signal to noise
ratio.  perhaps the highest i've ever seen.   and i hear about it when
the ratio dips.

again, the type of person who's going to let themselves get dragged into
a conversation about .sigs in the first place will be subscribed to both
lists.  otherwise, a good chunk of vox-tech doesn't want to hear about
it.

and again, your view is appropriate for someone who is subscribed to
both mailing lists (which you are).

not to open a can of worms, but this would be a good argument against
reply-to munging.  perhaps the first or second really convincing
argument i've heard to date.

pete