2003 Jan 28 18:05

[vox] [OT] Quoting style (was Re: ... Sig line [ newbie annoyed with tin ])

[vox] [OT] Quoting style (was Re: ... Sig line [ newbie annoyed with tin ])

>> The assumptions are that there are either local or shared archives (or
both) from which a context pointer is sufficient to restore full
references.  This is why *both* quoting *and* attribution are critical,
and is where MSFT style quoting (no leader character, attribution as an
inline quote of brief headers, and random attachment of prefix leaders
to wrapped lines) tends to be so deleterious to extended discussions.
I've rarely seen such a thread that doesn't have an (ever increasing)
accretion of "you're misquoting me" and "you're misattributing that
quote" subthreads.  Annoying in the extreme. <<

You know what I hate?  That quoting style above.  I see it on occasion,
and I wonder if the person doing it did it manually (and is therefore
smoking something), or if their mail client is just REALLY lame. :^)