2003 Jan 28 09:14

Re: [vox] [OT] Looking for cell phone suggestions

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:14:04PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> Hi all, it looks a bit slow here today, so I hope nobody
> minds this off-topic query.
>
> My old cellphone is pretty clunky by today's standards and
> the paint is wearing off the buttons, so it's time for a new
> one.  Only problem is, I can't find one I like.
>
> I don't want color or games or a built-in camera.  All I
> want is a reliable, sturdy phone.  A flip-thingy to protect
> the buttons would be nice, and good battery life, and not
> too heavy (say 5 oz. max).
>
> I hear AT&T has the best coverage around here, so TDMA
> compatibility would be best.  Sprint PCS would probably also
> be OK.  Anyone tried Verizon?

As far as I can tell, Verizon has coverage for Solano County, but not
Yolo or Sacramento counties. They have a free-roaming agreement with
whoever does cover this area, but I've had problems with incoming calls
when roaming. (the phone doesn't ring, but then beeps to tell me I have
a missed call)

If you're mostly in Solano County or points southwest, Verizon is pretty
solid. Otherwise, I'd avoid them.