2003 Jan 27 14:04

Re: [vox] PDFs

Quoting donw@examen.com (donw@examen.com):

> Not for heavy formatting or printable documents; it doesn't display or
> print in a consistent fashion (across browsers).  If it's just for data
> (like a spec sheet), than HTML is actually a better choice (I hate
> having to download a fscking PDF just to find out what voltage
> such-and-such takes).

The prejudice of HTML is that formatting is up to the document recipient.
The prejudice of PDF is that formatting is up to the document creator.

Being a Unix guy, I (generally) like becoming in charge of data I've
received.  Things to be printed rather than manipulated are one obvious
exception.

Views differ.<tm>

But, if an online document is available only in PDF, I'll often ignore
it completely, if it's not essential.

--
Cheers,                Emacs is a good operating system, but I prefer Linux.
Rick Moen