2003 Jan 27 11:02

Re: [vox] PDFs

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:23:39PM +0530, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
> Are Linux Users comfortable with PDF Format.  I want to place PDF files in
> our site so that they can see it online.  I dont want to restrict myself to
> Windows so want to check up Linux Users tooo.

The only problems I've had with PDFs include:

  * Some PDFs are interactive, with checkboxes.  I printed one once from
    Linux (using a non-Acrobat reader, which didn't support the toggling
    of the boxes), and ALL of the checkboxes came out checked.  I had to
    white-out and then photocopy the document :^P

  * I've had issues (under both gv and xpdf) with landscape PDFs.
    I can't get them oriented so that they print right, sometimes.
    I never looked closely into why, exactly.  I think I usually end up
    twiddling them by converting them to PostScript and then loading in gv
    or The Gimp, then printing

Other than that, even though PDF isn't exactly the most 'Open' format,
I think most Linux users (and Mac and BeOS and...) will appreciate your
use of PDF, compared to, say, MSWord. :^)

Good luck!