2003 Jan 26 13:40

Re: [vox] Debian & $?

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:25:54PM -0800, Lorie Obal wrote:

> NO, they mentioned Mandrake first and then said Debian needed $$ to keep
> the project going.

Well, obviously Open Source loves and needs money. :^)

The latest official news from Debian includes an announcement that HP
now offers 'Test Drive' access to some Debian-based systems.
( http://www.debian.org/News/2003/20030102 )

...And some announcements of the Debian project folks at some events
around the world.
( http://www.debian.org/News/2003/20030119 )

There was this, from back in December:

  Donations Sought. At the end of this year, several non-profit organizations
  that support Free Software are seeking donations. For US residents these
  donations are tax-deductible. Over two thirds of the Free Software Foundation
  (FSF) budget comes from individual donors. The FSF recently launched their
  associate membership program. The GNOME Foundation hopes to provide travel
  grants to some developers attending the annual GUADEC conference. Software
  in the Public Interest (SPI) accepts donations for the Debian project.

  ( http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/51/ )

It says nothing about them needing money to 'keep the project going'
(which I guess implies "send money or else the project will die,"
which seems much closer to the MandrakeSoft situation).

Now... if there IS something up, and your friend has some reference,
please share!  But, from what I can see poking around the web and IRC,
it's not as serious as your friend makes it sound.

OTOH - Feel free to help out, by donating the Software in the Public Interest:

  http://www.spi-inc.org/