2003 Jan 25 16:53

Re: [vox] OT: Hole in MS SQL server (unpatched)

Re: [vox] OT: Hole in MS SQL server (unpatched)

Quoting Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> Several friends have noted that routing has been seriously disrupted,
> though this may actually predate the MSSQL worm.  One thought is that
> some ISPs may backend their DNS on MS SQL.  That's sourced straight out
> of /dev/ass, anyone know if there might be some merit to this
> hypothesis?

This hypothetical threat mode would involve not only back-ending against
MS SQL Server, but also directly exposing that database to the Internet.
The one certainly doesn't require the other -- and taking the latter
step would be,... um, contraindicated, on general grounds, even without
the current vulnerability to highlight why.

PowerDNS (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/dns-servers) is an
example of an authoritative-only nameserver package using SQL databases
as the data store.  (MS SQL Server doesn't happen to be among the
databases it uses, unless you're really determined to do so and resort
to ODBC, to get there.)

--
Cheers,             "Don't use Outlook.  Outlook is really just a security
Rick Moen            hole with a small e-mail client attached to it."