2003 Jan 23 11:39

Re: [vox] [OT] radio shack

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:41:27PM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> I had one radio shack clerk argue with me that there was no such thing as
> a null-modem adapter.

My absolute pet peeve is arguing with an idiot. I hate having to waste
my time on it, and will avoid it if at all possible. I've had to do it
a couple times last week, and needed a long break afterward to cool
down.

Linksys Tech Support: Okay, what's your machine's IP address?

Me: 192.168.0.1

Tech: And what's the gateway address?

Me: Well, this machine happens to be the gateway server for our LAN.

Tech: Okay, but what's the gateway's address?

Me: Um, 192.168.0.1.

Tech: Are you telling me that your IP address is the same as the
      gateway address?

Me: Yes. That's usually the case when your machine *is* the gateway...

(Tech repeats questions to make sure, I repeat answers)

Tech (getting frustrated): Okay, open your console [this is on Windows
                           XP]. Type in "ipconfig". What does it say
                           for "IP address"?

Me: 192.168.0.1.

Tech: Okay, now what does it say for Gateway?

Me: blank.

...on and on... makes me suspect the guy has no clue what a gateway
actually is...

-Micah