2003 Jan 21 18:50

Re: [vox] bill and melissa virus

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:13:43AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > this is too funny.
> >

> > bill... have you been passing around the melissa virus?
> <snip>
>

> HAHAH!
>
> I bet it's because it has the word "Melissa" in it. :^)
>
> (Seriously... I mean, I can't think of what ELSE.
> And if that's the case, then DAMN... what a freaking ridiculous piece
> of anti-virus software!)

Actually, if it triggers on Melissa, that would be silly, as that
is not a key indicator of the virus. As far as I know, none of the
variants contained that word in the subject or body of the infection
emails. Most likely, some binary string subset of the email matched
a pattern for one of the many variants of the Melissa virus. It's
also possible they have a silly matching algorithm that uses synonyms
because one variant of Melissa does have a subject which begins with
"Pictures" and this email has a subject which begins with "Photos"
(and if they use such an algorithm, they really should be shot, heh).
If you really want to know for sure, this appears to be the TrendMicro
eManager product (the email message identified the scanning program
as eManager and the description of the TrendMicro product seems to
fit). TrendMicro has the virus definitions for this product available
for download in a tarball.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000