2003 Jan 21 09:35

Re: [vox] Rant (a bit long).

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:20:32AM -0800, Jim wrote:
> This is basically what I want to set up {previous post=networking}.  Linux
> as gateway server then any OS to go thru it.

My Linux box does double-duty; it's both my workstation, and the gateway
through which packets that originate in my apartment are sent out into
the ether.  Not that hard, really; the only important bit is to make
sure you set up a firewall (iptables), and that you disable anything
unnecessary.

> One of the letters that I received via list stated the following..."For
> hardware, you'll need, in addition to everyone's desktop
> systems,  1) a computer to be your firewall, and 2) a separate
> computer to be your router.".  I don't understand why I have to have 2
> computers to set up my LAN and also have the ability to talk to the outside
> world.  I am going to get a separate router (probably lynksis but unsure and
> wireless if I can get enough speed), wont this take the place of the
> foresaid extra computer?

You can use one computer as a firewall/router, assuming that the
following describes your network topology:

    {LAN Machines} <---> [Firewall/Router] <---> Internet

The Firewall/Router box can be fairly light (I'd recommend a low-end
Pentium), as all it needs to do is NAT and packet filtering.  You might
want to get something beefier if you plan on running a proxy server
(useful if you want a more fine-grained access control mechanism).

> Again, my ignorance is astounding when it comes to this sort of stuff so
> please don't be insulted by me asking what appears to be a trivial question
> to the experts out there.

The master sat in his garden, answering the questions of the town's many
children.  Some asked why the sky was blue, others asked why water wet.
Some wanted to know about why the sun shined, and why the moon didn't
appear the same every night.  Different children would show up every
day, and many would ask the same questions as others had the day before.

One of the master's diciples asked him, "Master, why do you sit all day
and answer trivial questions for these children, when there are greater
matters to which you can attend?"

The master replied, "Your question is trivial." and returned to playing
and talking with the children.

The disciple, ashamed, was enlightened.