2003 Jan 21 09:15

Re: [vox] In Memorium

i see this as red hat's fault.  it's the infamous "dot-oh" syndrome.
they should be releasing their dot-oh's as "beta" and simply not market
them at all.

another reason why the debian release system, which still has *some*
faults, rocks so hard.

btw, sound cards are usually not hard to set up.  if the auto-config
ain't working, all you need to do is:

1. type lspci (assuming it's a pci sound card)
2. find the relevent line for the sound card chipset
3. google for the chipset name to find the kernel module name
4. load the proper kernel module in startup script

if that doesn't work, there's an IRQ conflict (i've never seen a DMA or
ioport conflict in my life).  even windows people know how to deal with
IRQ conflicts by shuffling the cards around or tweaking BIOS.

a bit of simplification, but not much of one...

ah well.

pete

begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>