2003 Jan 17 22:36

Re: [vox] re. FAT size restrictions

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 11:18, ME wrote:
> Richard S. Crawford said:
> > When I had the shared partition formatted as FAT32, I saw a kernel
> > message claiming that FAT32 write support was alpha-level only, which is
> > why I switched to FAT16.
>
> Where did you see this? (I'd like to know, to read about it more.)
> Are you sure it was not a reference to Linux on the Alpha (DEC chip fame)
> and not alpha-software?

Hm, it showed up in my boot log.  I quote (from my boot log):  "fsck:
Warning: FAT32 support is still ALPHA"

Of course, these are the boot messages that fly by as my system is
booting up.  Looking at it now, it seems that perhaps reading and
writing to FAT32 would be just fine, just that fsck won't work reliably
on the FAT32 partition.

Okay, so maybe I did misunderstand the message... Did I?

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford
is