January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jan 17 12:06

OT: A nerd's humor (was) Re: [vox] Two Bits of Trivia

OT: A nerd's humor (was) Re: [vox] Two Bits of Trivia

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
[snip: Gateway machine and no obvious method for BIOS access]

Mark K. Kim said:
[snip]
> If that fails, start with the keyboard unplugged.  Some BIOSes, if the
> keyboard is missing, will let you into the BIOS to check for errors.
[snip]

This has always been a great source of entertainment for an associate of
mine and myself. This joke just does not seem to get old!

"Keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue, or F2 for setup."

The obvious implication: If the keyboard is not connected, how can
pressing F1 or F2 on a disconnected keyboard help make it be conncted, or
let us go to setup? :-D

Yes, yes. I know what is meant, but it is still funny. The sort of funny I
find when people say, "LCD Display" , "ATM Machine", "PIN Number", and to
some extent (depending on how it is used) "DNS Server" (when, based on the
context of how it is being used, the S means "server" instead of  the
normally implied "service".) Then there are MS examples. My favorite is:
"Windows 2000. Based on NT Technology." Well, What does "NT" stand for?
Heh-heh.